MBBS (i.e. Medicinae Baccalaureus and Bachelor of Surgery) is the professional undergraduate degree in medical that is provided by Medical colleges in countries that follow the tradition of United Kingdom.
(Author’s note: This article is a must read for students appearing for MBBS entrance exams this year or the year after!)
List of colleges in order of their ranks
- This medical institute (AIIMS Delhi) has been number 1 for 11 years in a row! Students from around the globe dream of getting a selected in this prestigious college that is also a famous research institute.
- Out of lakhs of students that sit for its MBBS entrance exam every year only a few lucky are lucky enough to get an admit.
- It has a total of seven MBBS institutes in Delhi, Bhopal, Patna, Jodhpur, Rishikesh, Raipur, and Bhubaneshwar.
Entrance exam: AIIMS MBBS
No of seats: 672
Campus : The MBBS UG program witnesses students from around the world and this makes the campus very vibrant and lively especially during PULSE which is India’s largest medical fest and is hosted by AIIMS.
- The second in this list of highly coveted MBBS colleges is Christian Medical College ,Vellore. This college set up in 1918 aims for high quality of medical training.
- Being a Christian Medical institute , some seats are sponsored from mission hospital and church like the defense sponsored seats in AIIMS Delhi.
- In year 2000 it was called ‘’The institute of excellence’’ by the government of India.
- It has a compulsory ‘’2 year service for the needy’’ program and the MBBS degree is only awarded after the completion of the same.
Entrance exam: CMC entrance exam group A (For MBBS)
Seats : 100 seats (84 sponsored and 16 open category seats)
Campus : The deep rooted values of service towards the needy , is instilled in every student pursuing MBBS here. The hospital sees a large inflow of patients daily which gives an excellent opportunity for students to experience and learn.
- The armed forces medical college is the third best college to pursue a degree in medicine (MBBS).
- The college is managed by the Indian Armed Forces.
- This college is little different from the rest as the admissions are just not based on the entrance scores. There is an interview round too where only the most deserving candidates are selected.
- AFMC is the only medical college in India where all expenses are paid by the Ministry of Defense . Medical Cadets receive free tuition, free lodging and boarding, uniforms, book subsidies and an allowance for upkeep of the uniforms
- The MBBS course also consists of a service bond of 7 years .
Entrance Exam : AIPMT (MBBS)
Seats : 105 boys , 25 girls and 5 foreign nationals.
Campus : The campus is a hub of sports and extracurricular activities apart from studies. The students are taught by some of the best faculty in medicine . The campus is very lively and professors share a good rapport with the students.
Maulana Azad Medical college, Delhi : Since it’s inception during the British Raj ,the prestigious college located in the heart of nation’s capital has consistently maintained a spot in the list of top 5 MBBS colleges.
- Only 0.5% of students who apply to this college are given an admit.
- MAMC boasts of an excellent faculty and alumni , some of whom are Padma Bhushan and Padmashri Awardees.
Entrance Exam : AIPMT (MBBS)
No of seats : 250 (Gen -104 , SC -31, ST -16 , OBC -56 , Central pool scheme -6 , 15%quota seats to be filled by DGHS -37)
Campus : MAMC has been witness to some of the most defining moments in our nation’s history. Some of the most well-known littérateurs, poets, philosophers, freedom fighters, religious leaders and royalty have walked this campus .
Kasturba Medical College , Manipal : The only private college to make it to the “Top 5 MBBS colleges” list consistently.
- Students from 44 countries have graduated from KMC, and the medical degree (MBBS) is recognized worldwide, including by the General Medical Council, ECFMG, Australian Medical Council and Malaysian Medical Council among several others.
- It has also received Human Research Protection Programs accreditation in Dec 2011—a first in India.
- Up to 100% scholarship is given to meritorious students.
Entrance exam : MU OET for (MBBS)
No of seats : 500 (including Karnataka CET , NRI seats and ENAT)
Campus : The Manipal University campus is breathtakingly beautiful and the institute is highly coveted because of it’s contrasting cultures as students from all over the world come to seek education here.
Life in a medical college.
The five years you spend pursuing MBBS in a medical college will definitely be the best time of your life. Most colleges have very few seats for medical so you end up knowing everyone in the campus and by the time you graduate, most of the professors would personally know you .
Though you will have to work really hard and stay on your toes when it comes to studies, nothing beats the feeling of successfully treating a patient. The skill of saving life would take effort , lots of hard work , patience and a huge fee if you are studying from a private college. But in the end it will all be worth every sacrifice!
Course curriculum : Subject covered per semester In MBBS as per the guidelines set by MCI .
|MBBS Phase||Semesters in MBBS||Subjects covered in MBBS|
|Pre clinical||1 and 2||Anatomy, Bio-chemistry, Physiology.|
|Para clinical||3, 4 and 5||Community Medicine; Forensic Medicine,
Pathology, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Clinical
postings in wards, OPDs to begin here.
|Clinical||6,7,8and 9||Community Medicine, Medicine and allied
subjects (Psychiatry, Dermatology); Obst.
Surgery and allied subjects (Anesthesiology,
E.N.T., Ophthalmology, Orthopedics);
Clinical postings or intern-ship is usually in the end of the MBBS course and the time period depends on the institute you pursue it from