Have you dreaded the moment when you read a question in the exam hall, and your brain draws a total blank? And you sit wondering how to turn these brain burps into epiphanies?
Part of avoiding such a cringeworthy moment is to revise thoroughly. The idea is spelled out clearly in the very word – “Re-vision” – literally means to look at something again! With the following tips, you can successfully revise your science syllabus and ace your exams like a champion!
Easy Science Revision Hacks
Spider diagrams are one of the most effective revision strategies when it comes to Science. They help distil the complex topics into a single memorable page by branching into sub-topics. They are also easily memorable because of the colour-coding and images in the diagrams. You can also write down important points such as formulae, equations, definitions, etc. and highlight them in different colours. For instance, let’s say you are studying Gravitation. You can write “Gravitation” at the centre as the head of the spider and write the sub-topics such as “Kepler’s Law”, “Universal law of gravitation”, “the gravitational constant”, “acceleration due gravity”, “gravitational potential energy” and “weightlessness” as the legs of the spider.
Concept oriented practicals
Science revision need not be theoretical and book-based always. Concept-centred practicals or science experiments in the laboratories can offer a kinaesthetic way to revise Science for students. Here are a few concepts-centred demonstrations you can try during Science revision:
- Revise moments in Physics by balancing rulers
- Study reflection, refraction, and diffraction with the help of a ripple tank.
- Learn about the leaf stomata by studying the leaf under a microscope.
You can match each science experiment with some practice questions, from short-answer questions to essay questions.
- Physics revision hacks
Physics is a subject that often involves complex mathematical problems. But with various revision strategies, you can make physics a piece of cake. Here are a few effective revision strategies:
- Master the basics: Physics concepts are developed on specific fundamental theories and laws. Understand such underlying principles and assimilate the key theories. For instance, To understand what is friction and how it works, you need to know Newton’s First Law of Motion. You can use mind maps to build such links and associations.
- Strengthen math skills: Improve your proficiency in tackling formulas and problems to attain expertise in Physics. Break down the complex problems into simpler problems. Maths skills are necessary for this. Hence, it is essential to study mathematics alongside and sharpen your maths skills.
- Flashcards: Write down any new physics words, units of measurements, general principles, and other concepts on flashcards. Keep these accessible. Repeated use of flashcards will help to recall and retain the information.
- Chemistry Revision hacks
Remembering chemical formulae, chemical names, and inorganic chemistry calculations can be bothersome. But if appropriate revision hacks are used, performing well in chemistry exams can be effortless. Here are a few tips to make simplify chemistry revision:
- Understand the principles and concepts: Understanding the fundamental laws and principles makes studying chemistry easier. Learn and revise the significant laws such as Avogadro’s Law, Boyle’s Law, Ideal Gas, etc. This helps you to understand the practical applications of chemistry and also helps you crack your exams with ease.
- Know the Rules: To ace your Chemistry exams, be aware of tricky rules such as naming alkanes, alkenes or any higher level of organic compounds. These rules help you in determining the compound name and writing down the correct chemical equation.
- Selective memorization: Efforts should always be focussed on understanding the subject or topic. But a few aspects (such as chemical symbol, first 20 elements of the periodic table) of chemistry may require plain memorization. Use flashcards for this purpose. But remember, under no circumstance should you settle for memorization over understanding the concepts.
- Write and Practise: Chemistry is filled with chemical symbols, formulae, and equations. To understand and remember these, you need to write them down and practise. The more you practise, the better you will be able to revise and recall these key aspects.
- Biology Revision hacks
Biology is ubiquitous but at the same time, diverse at all levels. Cracking it requires thorough knowledge of the many hierarchies, processes, and diagrams that the subject is packed with. Here are some simple yet effective revision hacks to tackle the subject.
- Breakdown complex terminologies: One of the hardest parts of studying biology is remembering various technical terms and nomenclature. Wouldn’t it be easy if you could understand the origin of the word or how the term is coined?
While revising the biology subjects, breakdown the complicated terminologies. For example, the term Autotroph can be divided into auto(=self) and troph (=feeder); Heterotroph can be split into hetero (=others) and troph (=feeder). Autotrophs are organisms that can produce their own foods, unlike heterotrophs who depend on other organisms for foods.
- Move from general to specific concepts: The secret of effective learning and revising biology is to learn the general concepts and to then dig into specific ones. In other words, know the main category and then study the sub-categories. For example, you can study features of primates only when you are sure about the characteristics of mammals in the first place.
- Draw and practise: Biology is full of diagrams. Practise each diagram. This helps in understanding the concepts better and remembering the information in the long-run.