If you are left-handed, you would agree that navigating through everyday life is challenging. And for those who aren’t, you would understand how difficult it is for your left-handed friends to study or play everyday.
A lot of things, including desks, spiral-bound notebooks and even a pair of scissors, are designed for right-handed users. Although there are some that are especially made for the former, predominantly, they are made for their right handed counterparts.
But have you ever wondered: Why are some people left-handed? Is it biological or is it just a habit that people acquire?
Some of you may have read that being left-handed is biological. There are several theories that explain its connection to genetics.
In fact, scientists have long speculated that there is a particular gene that controls the left and right movement. And there has been continuous research on it. As recently as in 2019, experts from the Oxford University came up with research on the link between DNA and left-handedness. It looks like there is a slight genetic mutation that makes us left-handed.
In their published results, the neurology journal, Brain, which studied 4,00,000 people, say that the genes inherited from parents have a role to play in the rise of the dominant hand. Some studies also show that multiple genes, mostly up to 40, contribute to this trait.
However, it’s not all attributed to genes. The best guess is that handedness is 25% genetic. The rest 75% boils down to the environment (anything that’s not in the genes). If you were asked to change your handedness as a child, it is likely that it makes a permanent change.
Predominantly, the world has always had more right-handed people. Statistics show that left-handed people form roughly around 10 percent of the population.
Putting the numbers in perspective, it seems like the universal preference is being right-handed. And the preference starts early. Studies show that even in the womb, fetuses prefer right-sided thumb sucking. And this preference mostly continues for life.
If you are left-handed, you are among great company. Famous people who are left-handed include Barack Obama, Sachin Tendulkar, Albert Einstein and Amitabh Bachchan.
It also means that you have unique traits to your credit. And we are sure you confirm that because even studies suggest the same! When you are left-handed, your brain works differently and the hemispheres of the brain are better connected at various points, in comparison to the right-handers.
And this connection has resulted in positive traits:
Looks like being left-handed might naturally make you better learners!
This might be a common question. As we mentioned earlier, it is easier to be right-handed, because a lot of the things that you use are made for their benefit. As a result, some left-handed people try to use their right hands or both.
It seems pretty cool to be able to write and play with both hands, right? And some of them have also been actively training themselves to achieve this feat!
Experts believe that it takes around six months of dedicated practice.
However, it is believed to have adverse effects too. Studies have shown that it may have an adverse effect on your nervous system. It might even impair your math, language and reasoning abilities.
Now that you have a basic idea about left-handedness, can we have the left-handers share their experiences in the comments?!
Aparna is a mom, singer and dreamer. At BYJU'S, she writes stories about learning for children. She believes in the power of music, especially ghazal, the magic of the universe and happy learners. When not writing or singing, you will find her intensely engaged in conversations about life and the power of words.
March 13, 2022
I am a lefty and I have been aseamstsress and crafter all my life (I am almost 80)
December 27, 2021
Why do we get sore throat
December 24, 2021
Informative and very useful!! 🙂
December 19, 2021
It is a nice article.
December 19, 2021
Thank you for the information
Divyanshi Rathore ??
December 13, 2021
Nice information but I’m left handed ???
December 11, 2021
Good information ?
Arya C is a 4th grader who talks about her transition from the US to India and how BYJU`S has helped her at that. She also loves how BYJU`S has made learning a lot more fun.
Meet Sourabh who has a ton to say about his BYJU`S learning experience. His love for quizzes, games and other fun activities are paying off!
V Shriya is a class eight student who has been using BYJU’S for a year now. She shares her experiences with using the app and how it has helped her in improving her academic performance.