Welcome to BYJU’S Sunday Challenge, the weekly quiz. In this edition, we take a look at coins, currency and money across the world, and the strange and wonderful stories hidden behind them.
You can take a shot at the questions and field your guesses in the comments section below. Answers will be revealed on subsequent Sundays in the comment section. The fastest entries to get all questions right win a pair of Bluetooth headphones.
Ready? Here are your questions:
The nickname for a five-cent coin in America shares its name with an element in the periodic table with the atomic number 28. Interestingly only 25% of the alloy that makes the five-cent coin is composed of this metal. The other 75% is made up of the very next element in the periodic table (Atomic number 29). Name both elements.
This early vehicle gets its name from two types of coins belonging to the same country, because of their sizes. Neither the coins nor the vehicle is used anymore but are some of the most recognisable objects in history. What is the name of the vehicle (pictured below)?
Famous for its many nicknames, it is the oldest currency that is still in use today. Referred to as “clam”, “dosh”, “frogskins”, “loot”, “bones”, “folding stuff”, “honk”, “lampshade”, “lolly”, “scratch”, and “readies” depending on which part of the island nation you are on, it’s most popular nickname comes from a Latin phrase about trading favours. Which currency is this?
Until November 2016, the reverse side used to feature an illustration of Gandhi leading the Dandi March. Now, you will find the Red Fort in its place. Its length and width have also decreased slightly. What are we talking about?
This island nation issues a limited series of coins featuring cat breeds every year (an example is pictured below). The country first did it in 1988 and has since become an annual tradition. It involves minting a breed of cat on coins in pure silver, gold, and platinum. Name the country.
Take your guesses in the comments section below. Winners of this edition, along with the answers will be revealed next Sunday, so keep your eyes peeled!
To view other editions of the Sunday Challenge, click here.
Answers to Sunday Challenge 39:
3. Pirates flew the Jolly Roger, distinctive for its white skull and bones painted on a black flag.
5. The Olympic Flag
Suraj is a self-proclaimed audiophile and a jack-of-all-trades writer with a diverse set of interests. An amateur quizzer on the side, he claims that the first object he fell in love with was a book on flags at age 3. His favourite punctuation mark is the Oxford Comma, which coincidentally happens to be one of his favourite songs too!
Arya C is a 4th grader who talks about her transition from the US to India and how BYJU`S has helped her at that. She also loves how BYJU`S has made learning a lot more fun.
Meet Sourabh who has a ton to say about his BYJU`S learning experience. His love for quizzes, games and other fun activities are paying off!
V Shriya is a class eight student who has been using BYJU’S for a year now. She shares her experiences with using the app and how it has helped her in improving her academic performance.